Duties: Jefferson County General Assistance, in accordance with Chapters 251 and 252 of the Iowa Code, provides assistance to the needy and poor persons who reside in Jefferson County, when such persons are not supported by their own means, their responsible relatives, or other public or private resources.
It is the intent and purpose of the Jefferson County General Assistance Program to be an emergency source of last and limited resort for funding of those current basic essential necessities of Jefferson County residents.
Location: Jefferson County Courthouse, 1st floor
Office Hours: 9 am - 3 pm Monday - Thursday; Closed Friday
Fax: (Auditor's office) 641-472-2597
Administrator: Director, Ray Chambers
1. Complete a General Assistance Program Application.
2. Reside in Jefferson County, Iowa.
3. Agree to use the applicant's own potential resources to meet the needs of the applicant's household and to use all the resources of those persons directed by law to provide for the applicant's support.
4. Apply or have applied for all other public assistance programs for which the applicant and/or applicant's household may be eligible and provide written proof of the status of such applications.
5. Register with Job Service of Iowa, unless disability which prohibits employment is verified by an Iowa licensed physician.
6. Accept available work, including public programs as authorized under Section 252.27, or retraining assignments if health and other circumstances permit as determined by the director.
7. The applicant must be 18 years of age. Exceptions to this policy are married individuals, those emancipated through a legal process of the Juvenile Court system.
8. Meet income guidelines and the limits on help during a 12 month period.
Assistance will be help with rent, food, utilities, limited medical and burial assistance.
When you come in to complete an application you need to bring financial information, such as documentation of income, utility bills, documentation of rent and prescriptions.
Applicants will be required to sign a release of information so the Director can make contacts to verify the information. All HIPA regulations of confidentially are maintained.
Every effort is made to ensure accurate information is posted to the site. However, Jefferson County does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of the content on this site or content which is referenced by or linked to this site. Redistribution of data from this site for commercial purposes is prohibited.
© 2006-2012 Jefferson County Iowa