Completed in 1893, this replacement courthouse was built in the fashionable Richardsonian Romanesque style. The design centered on a 142-foot high corner clock tower, but the top and some other details were removed in 1949 because of a violent wind storm.
In Nov. 2004 a new steeple was installed on the clock tower to replace the one that was removed in 1949.
Additional renovation has been taking place in the interior. The courtroom was fully renovated in 2010.
The terra cotta bas-relief sculpture on the west wall is an allegory of Blind Justice, flanked by Harmony and Strife.
See the Fairfield Ledger newspaper story about Lee Gobble and his efforts to restore the steeple (achieved in 2004).
Note: The courthouse in Red Oak, IA, is almost identical, but reversed (both designed by H. C. Koch).