Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm Historic District
The Stallion Barn
was the first barn to be restored (by volunteers) in 2006. It was built in 1910 by J. G. Maasdam, probably using barn plans from the Louden Machinery Company here in Fairfield.
It contains sturdy stalls for 2 Percheron stallions, used for breeding purposes. They had to be kept well away from the mares, so their barn was at the edge of the farmstead.
In 2005-2006 repairs were made, the barn was painted, and the roof was re-shingled by volunteers.
A Louden hay carrier is in the loft, and still works.
Click here for more photos and information.
*The black and white photo below is from the Historic Study prepared for the Iowa DOT in 2002. Photo taken in Sept 2001.
Before restoration, northwest side, Sept 2001 Same view, May 2013 (Restored in 2006)