Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm Historic District
The Mare Barn
has stalls for 10 or 12 mares. The Louden-inspired rafter design creates an unobstructed loft, used for hay storage. Built in 1910 by J. G. Maasdam.
The barn was mostly intact, but the roof was covered with a rubbery-type material, perhaps added in the 1950's. Since it was wearing off, it was replaced with wooden shingles in 2008. The original cupola was gone, so it was reproduced.
The interior was cleaned up and upgraded with new wiring to meet codes, and displays were installed.
Click here for more photos and information.
*The black and white photo below is from the Historic Study prepared for the Iowa DOT in 2002. Photo taken in Sept 2001.
Before restoration, 2001 Open House, Oct 2011