The Maasdam Barns will open on Tues, April 1st for the 2014 season. Hours will be 1-4pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10am-4pm on Saturdays. However, tours are available anytime of the year by appointment.
Listen now to the Maasdam Barns Audio Tours, or download the MP3 files to your smartphone or other device for later listening.
The Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm was developed by the Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee as a recreational and educational center. Three historic barns are the major components of the Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm Historic District.
In 2008 a section of the farmstead was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places, because from 1910 until 1938 the owner of this farm, J. G. Maasdam, was a prominent importer and breeder of award-winning Belgian, Percheron and other draft horses. Horses were of great importance in powering the then improving farm equipment.
Also of importance is that the barns were equipped with Louden overhead monorail hay carriers, which were first developed and manufactured by the Louden Machinery Company in Fairfield. The Louden overhead monorail system is still used throughout the world in agriculture, but much more importantly, in industry.
The Museum contains displays, photos, artifacts, and stories about the farm's history. In addition, there is information about early Fairfield industries related to agriculture, as well as visitor information about Jefferson County and Fairfield.
Use the Menu (left) to find out more about the Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm.
A recreational trail runs along the north and west sides of the farmstead (see the Fairfield Loop Trail website)
The above map was adapted from the Iowa Historic Property Study of the Maasdam Farmstead
prepared for the Iowa Department of Transportation (January 2002). See it here (PDF file).
© 2009-2014 Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee